The Beet! So delicious and good for you packed with folate and manganese. Beets are my all time favorite vegetable and so versatile: salads, hot or cold side dish, appetizers, juiced, pureed or mashed the options are endless. For the Love of Beets!
4 small to medium beets
2 tsp agave
4 tbs walnuts
2 tbs pecans
2 tbs cream cheese
salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Cook beets: trim top and bottom of the beets, leaving the skin one. Place in a glass baking dish with bottom cut side down. Fill pan with about a 1/4 in of water and over with foil. Bake beets at 450 for 40 – 60 minutes, depending on their size. Check beets with a fork, it if pierces easy the are done.
- Remove from over and let cool. When beets are cool enough to touch rub the skins off with a paper towel. The faster you can do this the better, if you have gloves, wear them! If not you will dye your hands purple, it will wash out after a few good scrubs 🙂 I’m ok with purple hands, beets are worth it. Hee Hee
- Using a melon baller core out the middle of the beets to make room for the nut pate and set beets aside
- In a food processor mix: walnuts, pecans, cream cheese, and spices until combined and chopped.
- To plate: scoop nut pate into the core of the beet, top with a raspberry and drizzle with agave. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve. They will keep overnight as well but the beet will bleed onto the nut pate a bit.
This is another favorite of mine! What makes this salad amazing is Trader Joe’s Pecan Blue Cheese Spread!! If you have never tried it, I suggest you run out today and get some, it’s take good. I think it’s interesting how one ingredient can change the whole flavor and taste of a dish. Try making your favorite dishes with a little twist and exchange one item out. I get tired of making the same go to items, even though I love them, it’s fun to spice things up a bit!
1 cooked beet, sliced
1 tbsp Trader Joe Pecan Bleu Cheese Spread
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup mandarin oranges
2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
1. In a salad bowl mix, lettuce, beans, oranges, pecans and dressing to coat.
2. On a small plate place 2 slices of beets and spread with 1 tbsp each blue cheese spread. Then top with another 2 slices (if you have left over beets dice and add to salad mix.)
3. Top salad mix with 2 beet blue cheese stacks
If you’ve seen some of my other posts, I LOVE BEETS! I am a total beetaholic! I will eat them with anything and prepared anyway! I’m in Florida and it has been deliciously hot here so I eat a lot of salads at lunch cause that’s what always sounds good to me. This little salad was created with love to share with my boss on her birthday, we both loved it and I hope you enjoy as well.
1 bags sweet greens
1/2 cup of chopped pecans
2 cups beets, cooked and diced
1/2 cup Mandarin oranges
2 Trader Joe Mini Brie Wheels (Optional this would be vegan without it)
1 cup cucumbers, chopped
1 tbsp dried chives
fresh cracked pepper
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp orange juice
dash of onion powder
dash of red pepper powder
salt and pepper
Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside
I love to make food look like arts, its fun and its just pretty!
Arrange your lettuce and then start on the outside and layer your ingredients in a circle moving in. Drizzle with dressing and ENJOY!