Happy 4th of July Everyone!
We enjoy spending our summer holidays outside grilling and playing bags with friends and family. It’s so important to take time to relax and appreciate our time with friends and family. I hope you get to relax today with those you love and enjoy a beautiful day outside!
Grilled Veggie Brats, Italian Pesto Pasta Salad and Strawberry & Roasted Coconut Salad.
I love using lettuce as my “bun” for veggie brats and burgers in the summer. I simple grilled my veggie brat and topped my romaine lettuce with mustard, dill relish and my brat. If you haven’t tried lettuce wraps with grilled items I would highly recommend it.
Strawberry and Roasted Coconut Salad with Black Pepper Vinaigrette
I got the idea for this salad from Oh My Veggies (www.ohmyveggies.com), if you have not been to their website you should check it out. They have lots of wonderful vegetarian and vegan recipes. This salad is based on their “Strawberry Salad with Coconut Bacon and Black Pepper Vinaigrette” for their recipe check out http://ohmyveggies.com/strawberry-salad-with-coconut-bacon-black-pepper-vinaigrette/ I changed a few things in the recipe to create my own variation, I hope you enjoy it.
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup coconut flakes
Black Pepper Vinaigrette
3 oz red wine vinegar
1 oz agave
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
3 oz extra virgin olive oil
1 container mixed greens
2 cups strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/4 walnuts, chopped
2 tbsp fresh cracked pepper
1 tbsp dill weed
1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss all ingredients under roasted coconut in a medium bowl to coat coconut. Spread coconut flakes on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flipping coconut after 5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow coconut to cool.
- To mix dressing: combine all ingredients in a dressing shaker or bowl and whisk together.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss. Once coconut is cool add to salad. When ready to serve top with dressing and toss salad once more.
Italian Pesto Pasta Salad
8 oz tri color pasta spirals, cooked according to package
7 oz jar of basil pesto
1/4 red wine vinegar
1 tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn in pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cracked pepper
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
- While pasta cools in a large bowl combine all ingredients except cheese, stir well.
- Add pasta to mixture and toss to coat pasta with dressing.
- Top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve.